Monday, October 4, 2010

no sweat

WoW is on hold.  I'll just say that upfront, making this part of my WoW blog for the week too.  I'm still learning from WoW - I'm learning that prioritizing in new ways is a must.  I've always been one to have a bunch of "pots cooking" at one time...and at this time, my "WoW pot" is at a simmer.  And it's good that it's simmering as this is definite proof that I will *never* be addicted to MMORPGs.  Whew! (LOL!  I wasn't worried ;-)

Projects.  Working on the CoP for the Cog strand.  This is more fun than I thought.  I saw the project and saw FUN from the start...I really did!  But, I get to check out an adventurous sport I've always been curious to try and then use ART to describe the implicit learning within the community sport.  Personally, this has to be the best project yet, for me.  My only problem is narrowing down my info and ideas -- I want to make TEN different artifacts!  Anyway...

My AR project -- moving forward...slowly.  But I think that's the point.  Margaret has been especially helpful in helping me decide how to gauge "progress" as I OBSERVE my issue in the classrooms.  I figure there must be a method to calculate 'where' the starting point is -- and then the progress as I implement my ideas into the classrooms/programs as the semesters roll on.
Paul has been helpful in direction and deeper thought -- and Bill's Cog strand blends in nicely with it all, of course.
My Learning Circle is priceless.  We have so many laughs when we're together and ideas just start pouring out as we chat with one another.  We do have a few laughs at Paul's expense and he's a good sport ;-)  I pray a lot for my mates in my L.C. - this is our BIG project for the program and I pray that each of us will feel as if we're accomplishing...as if we're actually making a difference within our jobs/passions as the time goes by.  I don't want this AR, these changes we're making, to simply end once we pull our MA in June.  That would suck.  I'm passionately involved in my own AR and hope that everyone else will be able to continue with their passion for their AR as their jobs continue past the MALT program.

The Design Team Project: we are a good group.  I've said it before and I'll continue to say it.  I'm so thankful for the team with which I was grouped.  We had a rocky start, lost a team member, changed course in mid-stream, had to narrow down our focus, etc.  But, all-in-all, I've enjoyed working on the Needs Analysis and now the Tools Presentation.  I'm finishing up my own tools presentation and I am totally digging it!  I love how my project is looking and I'm proud of it.

The forums - plugging away at them.  The reading is tough to "divvy up" -- it seems to be the group consensus that it's hard to answer forum questions if the individual hasn't done at least SOME of the reading alone.  I thought it through and wondered how much time each person might be taking to read just one of the books, create a decent summary and have the items in the summary that are usable for their mates to adequately add to the forum discussions.    This really comes down to some trust issues, as well.  Does each person TRUST that the one who read the book created a fair/decent/sufficient outline or summary of the book (s)he volunteered to read for the group?
I don't know -- I've been burned in the past doing this in groups.  I tend to read faster than most and have chosen to read on my own ... but have NO problem sharing what I read with any of my mates.  I'd read all the books and summarize if it would make even ONE student's life easier right now.
I am having a hard time keeping up with my forum posts - I do have a 'bitch' - I didn't realize there was a whole string of forum questions I missed and I suppose it could be my own fault for not checking each link in Sakai, but seriously, I think the forum questions are spread a little too far around.  Just a suggestion for next time around?  Maybe if the 2 groups of members (Paul's/Margaret's group) had only ONE place to look for forum questions, this might help alleviate some of the stress.   After all, aren't the 2 groups running somewhat simultaneously anyway?
We seem to be answering each others forum posts from both groups anyway -- so it seems reasonable.  Oh well, just a thought.

Another thought from this week:  how many groups do we really need to join?  I'm not sold on all the different wikis and sites (ex: Diigo, Yammer, Wikispaces, cohuman, Google Groups, etc.).  We have our own 'private' student places too -- our own cadre website, the cadre FB site, etc.  Just seems like overkill.
Not to mention, it's added to the sites we all follow anyway (I know I already follow dozens of sites for my 2 jobs...there's a time when technology can actually get in the way - everything in moderation.
Just an opinion here.  And I want to give credit where it's due -- God bless the students who thought enough of all of us to set up these sites and share (AND the profs!!).

The Lit Reviews have been neglected - I have read quite a few but still have yet to report on them - I need to put extra effort into this area this week.

I noticed a lot more collaboration between our cadre in the past week or two.  A LOT! 
The FETC trip has been a collaboration project - and I really hate the fact that it may appear as if I don't want to be WITH my mates in Orlando --  but truly, I WILL be will them all.  Only when I sleep, will I be in my FREE room.  It simply came down to a matter of money and I hope everyone understands.  I'm looking forward to the trip (though I wish my husband could come -- his date for return from the midEast is not until mid-April...a bit sad) - I look forward to the face-to-face interaction again.  Technology is AWESOME but nothing beats human contact.

peace and happiness from the Emerald City.

No comments:

Post a Comment