Saturday, August 21, 2010

regarding the Jobs reading

This is more of an expose spot for me to post my reactions to the reading of that government report.
I'm allowed to explain how it affected me and how it may (or may not) affect my practice, my profession....etc.
I was HUGELY disappointed in the choice of material and it wasn't only because of the information...it was also because "the other side of the coin" was never presented.
I was literally flabbergasted at the description of the "BEST" schools in our state (WA state).  The government used THAT part of our school system to set forth as a 'good idea' ???  no way!  It's literally a dumping ground for kids who are unable to cooperate, assimilate, concentrate, communicate, etc. within the mainstream school system.  It's a place to throw the kids the school just doesn't want to handle.  The kids in those schools are typically court-ordered to go, or have been given the choice of BEST or expulsion from the school system.  (rare instance: pregnant teen or new young mother is in earning her HS diploma)  One of the BEST schools is located directly next door to the university where I earned my BA and where I work.  It's one of the most PRIME locations in town (Eastside...suburbs of Seattle).  I saw the students who attend the school on a daily basis - I assure you, these were not the students who wanted that second chance at a HS education...these were children who had the police called on them often, caused many problems for the 3 private schools that surround their campus and, in general, it was (is) CRYSTAL clear that the BEST school is NOT a viable and working option to produce successful HS grads.
Actually, there was (is) a FAR better example that the fed gov't could have used - that started right here (one of 3 states) .... ONLINE VIRTUAL high school.  It's called "INSIGHT" -- I attended all the preliminary sessions to begin this school -- I was *not* a part of the faculty or admin, but I am a Kirkland/Bellevue parent of a teen who was the THIRD person signed up for this school.  The kids are given computers on loan, any books they may need (very few, only 2 if I remember correctly), they have advisers constantly at their reach online....they collaborate with each other on VPN and there are classes on etherpads, etc.  It really is a very good ALTERNATIVE program for teens who would like to work full-time, need to assist parents, have become young parents, want to earn their AA while finishing their HS diploma, etc.
My son wasn't court ordered, he wasn't in trouble at another school, he wasn't an early father, none of the above....he was home schooled and we saw this as a viable option.  None of the kids were forced or led there...in fact, they were essentially hand picked due to limited resources at the time.  It's a bigger program now and this doesn't seem to be an issue.  The curriculum was CHOSEN by the student (and parent), discussed with an adviser who helped Matthew decide on a direction...to possibly plan a career direction that he could take with him into college...and this is all ACCREDITED!  How did the gov't miss that program but set forth a delinquent's program as a model?
Here is the INSIGHT link, in case anyone is interested in checking it out:  Insight School of WA
As far as I'm concerned, it's par for the course for THIS administration.
Then.....the report used Michigan's program for work as a great model for the states.........Michigan has the SECOND HIGHEST unemployment rate as of July 2010....it's higher than California's unemployment rate!
It was very difficult to find positive, realistic notions in this report.  It would have been helpful to have seen a conflicting report to at least weigh the "left" and the "right" -- this was a very biased reading with outdated info, in my opinion.
So, in summary....how did this report affect me?  How does it affect my practice?  I hope they are right about the teaching and technology positions being open in the (near?) future....but if I go by the information they provided in general, I'd have to do further research to feel confident that those jobs would be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment