Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Quest vs Re-Quest

I was playing "the game" with a few folks lately.  I noticed that random cliques have formed and leaders have tacitly (or not so?) been chosen.  A few of us are brave enough to get on WoW alone and attempt to score exp points, but it's definitely clear (to me anyway) that it is FAR MORE advantageous for a character to be on a team for the game.
I'll try to tackle these 'concepts' one-by-one' as I note them in my blog(s).
In schools, cliques form and there are leaders...and humans DO learn by example.  As far as the "going at it alone" idea is concerned, I feel this applies more to real life than to the virtual game world.  These quests are definitely set up to encourage (nearly force?) a character to team up with others in order to accomplish set quests, especially as levels increase.
I don't necessarily disagree with this.  From a Christian standpoint, we were created for community.  Humans were not given the the emotional, mental, physical capacity to live alone.  A balanced human being (for all general purposes) will be a part of many communities.  This seems to be true in the WoW world as well -- I can see where some groups/teams formed would be stronger for some quests more than others.  We team with who can help us *survive* in both worlds - you see?


I have to touch on the aspect of competition in this blog.  It is in both worlds as well (the virtual and real).  I don't suppose much needs to be said on this topic as it seems fairly clear that my reader will be able to see the competitive elements and value of competition within both WoW and true life.


I do want to quickly mention that I see where this game could have an addictive quality and I don't see that as a positive aspect.  HOWEVER, there are addictive temptations throughout ALL of life.  I don't suppose that introducing someone to WoW will necessarily "cause" him/her to become an addict -- the person would probably already have been someone with an addictive personality to begin with.
It seems to be a bit of a NON-issue...I guess it's more of a case of "to each his own" and "everything in moderation."  Unless directly asked, I don't think I'll touch on that topic again.

I think the game is fun.  I look forward to setting up group times -- I look forward to connecting with my son as he sits beside me, with reverse roles (he is teacher, I am student!!) while he points out some of the *not so obvious* aspects of WoW to me.  I love to see the self-esteem build and build as HE WATCHES HIS STUDENT (me!) BECOME EXCITED ABOUT LEARNING!! How cool is that??!!
A connection has formed that WAS NOT THERE BEFORE.

At this time I can't find an application for this in the milieu of upper education (YET!) but I see the way a K-12 educator (or even just a parent/mentor) could benefit as the young person benefits simultaneously.  The game certainly creates a bridge between people in quite a few ways.

Finally,
You might wonder ... what does that title "Quest vs Re-Quests" mean??  Well, it happened that as we were running into a mine, getting killed, finding our "bodies" .... running back to the mine, dying, finding our "bodies" (and the cycle continues *L*)...we were RE-questing.........right??!!  :-)
Anyway.  Life is a quest.  We are supposed to perform many quests in the virtual game as well.  We must RE-perform some quests in life and keep trying...figuring out "what not to do next time" -- trying different methods, different partners, different procedures in different orders, etc.
Unfortunately, the game takes quite a bit of time, so I couldn't necessarily ask a student in a college classroom to attempt the quests...but if the student was already familiar with WoW (or many of the MMORPGs with quests....which is just about all of them??), I could tie that particular idea in with a few Theological concepts I may teach in a few classes.   I suppose it could be tied in somehow with History and how groups, clans, families, dynasties, empires, city-states, etc. did NOT give up without RE-questing and pushing forward.
I wish for a way to QUICKLY get on a game such as this and be able - within one 50 min. class session - to have the students experience what it would be like to have been a soldier in the Civil War during the Battle of Gettysburg or some famous battle (maybe a battle with Alexander the Great or the Spartans vs the Persians) -- it's the passion I feel when I teach the topic ... I LOVE Military History but have a hard time getting *most* students psyched about the battles and strategy and honor, etc.
There must be a way for me to utilize this type of game *quicker* ?
It's a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment